Longer Sets At 2016 NQC

Longer Sets At 2016 NQC

For 2016, the National Quartet Convention is advertising in advance those artists who will have longer sets each evening. Click HERE, then check out the artists that have double stars by their names.

Monday: Kingdom Heirs and Ernie Haase & Signature Sound
Tuesday: Booth Brothers and Collingsworth Family
Wednesday: Hoppers and Legacy Five
Thursday: Greater Vision and Mark Trammell Quartet
Friday: Isaacs and Jim Brady Trio
Saturday: Tribute and Triumphant

These added details won’t change my plans regarding which nights I’ll attend, but the extra detail is something I appreciate as a fan.

Would you be more likely to attend on a particular evening now that you’re armed with this information?

1. David McGan
    Reply January 20, 09:23 #1 David McGan

Won’t change my attendance plans at all. But how did they determine who got extended sets?

2. coomercove
    Reply January 20, 09:38 #2 coomercove

I’d be more likely to attend if it was more of a showcase for southern gospel music instead of a showcase for board members and IMC connected artists. I know that board members have always gotten preferential treatment and that is to be expected, but some of this is crazy to me. The Second Half Quartet gets two mainstage slots but Gold City and Brian Free & Assurance aren’t on the schedule? I am probably only going to attend one night this year, and that is only to buy new CDs that are released that week.

Reply January 20, 10:07 David Bruce Murray Author

Keep in mind that it’s only January. If history is any indication, more groups will be added to the schedule in months leading up to the convention.

• Aaron Swain
      Reply January 20, 12:38 Aaron Swain

Gold City not being on the schedule is odd, but I didn’t expect BFA to show up this year since they didn’t last year.

• Bill Lancaster
      Reply January 20, 15:11 Bill Lancaster

In regards to some of the more popular groups like Gold City and Brian Free & Assurance not being at NQC, keep in mind that just because a group is asked to come it doesn’t mean that they will accept. I have read on Facebook and other blogs where group owners have declined from a financial standpoint. They would not be able to meet their expenses and participate so they book other dates instead. I would think that everyone would want to be at NQC, but it doesn’t always work out. And if it doesn’t work out it may not be the Board’s fault.

3. Joe Mannon
    Reply January 20, 09:42 #3 Joe Mannon

I like giving the groups that are considered the “best”, longer minutes on stage. I do have two questions, however.

1- Who is on the Board, and how many of them are in the “longer set” category? Just curious.
    2- I think the privilege to be one of these groups has been earned, but with that in mind, how does the Jim Brady Trio make the list? I haven’t seen them, and I am sure that they are good, but to me they haven’t “earned” that right…..not yet, anyhow.

Not trying to be controversial, just asking the questions that popped into my mind while reading your blog.

Reply January 20, 10:18 David Bruce Murray Author

All of the board members who have groups will be among those with longer sets. Les Beasley, Clarke Beasley, Jim Brady, Michael Burke, Claude Hopper, Don Shumate, Mark Trammell, and Gerald Wolfe were board members as of 2015.

As for the other groups, I can only guess, but I would say their popularity makes the most sense as to why they were selected for longer sets.

This is nothing new. I’ve been attending NQC regularly since the late 1990s, and it’s never been an equal amount of time for every group that appears on main stage…nor should it be.

This is just the first time I’ve noticed them advertising it in advance.

4. bravesfan513
    Reply January 20, 11:40 #4 bravesfan513

These are the best of the best. Wish I could attend…maybe next year.

5. Brian Fuson
    Reply January 20, 12:55 #5 Brian Fuson

I have zero interest in supporting NQC through my attendance or webcast subscription if Gold City’s not there. They are one of our genres most relevant groups and equally is important to our history as The Cathedrals. I hope the board comes to their senses.

6. Joe Mannon
    Reply January 20, 15:54 #6 Joe Mannon

Thanks for answering my questions, David. That explains why the Jim Brady Trio is one of the groups with longer sets. To my mind, it isn’t fair that a group in their infancy, pretty much, gets star treatment. Of course, the board can do whatever they wish. I would say that a group like the Imperials or the Masters Five, even in their first year, would merit star treatment, due to the fact that every member was at the top of the “star” list already.

• bravesfan513
      Reply January 20, 16:27 bravesfan513

The Jim Brady Trio does consist of three people who were well-known and well-regarded in gospel music already. Also, they are one of the best groups going. Did you hear their CD? It was one of the best of the year. I don’t know what is supposed to be meant by the word “stars” and “star treatment,” but the Jim Brady Trio, from a talent and quality standpoint, is as good or better than the other groups listed above as receiving longer sets.

Reply January 20, 16:44 #7 David Bruce Murray Author

Concert promoters who also sing are always going to promote their own groups. It’s not about star treatment so much. It’s just a good business practice. Didn’t Charlie Waller’s Florida Boys sing just as long or longer than other groups during their first appearance at the Grand Ole Gospel Reunion? Of course they did. Waller owns the event, and I’d expect nothing else.

If the quality of the group is on par with the other artists as is the case with the Jim Brady Trio, then it really should be no surprise that they’re one of the groups that has a longer set, considering he’s on the board. They’d probably be one of the groups getting a longer set even if he wasn’t on the board, because they’re actually that good.

• bravesfan513
      Reply January 20, 17:01 bravesfan513

This is true…anyone can, if they have the ability, resources, and drive, put on a big event like this, and invite whomever they want and give them however long they want to on stage. I personally do not have this ability, so I am glad that other people do and put it on for us to enjoy.

8. Akdl83
    Reply January 20, 19:45 #8 Akdl83

Appearing at NQC can be VERY costly from a financial standpoint. Especially for male quartets that support four or more families. These are still hard times for a lot of southern gospel artists. If a group can’t find it financially feasible to attend NQC, then they probably need to stay on the road and find some dates that will bank more. It just is what it is, unfortunately.

Jim Brady may be a board member, and his trio may be newer than most, but they’re stinkin good. Better than probably 90% of the others out there. Still a good call.

9. Joe Mannon
    Reply January 20, 22:41 #9 Joe Mannon

I guess my point wasn’t clear. I think the Freedom Quartet is as good as a lot of groups, and they have 3 members that were “well-known and well-regarded in gospel music already”, too. But, I’m assuming that they aren’t given “longer sets”. John Rulapaugh, Burman Porter and Dale Shipley have been with top groups.

The words “stars” and “star treatment” are pretty clear to me. They are groups that have been around awhile, and are recognized as among the best…….therefore, they have earned the right to be treated as such.

Again, I have nothing against the Jim Brady Trio……just stating my opinion. David Bruce Murray knows much, much more than I know about the gospel music industry, so I respect his opinion.

While I love the Grand Ole Gospel Reunion, I wouldn’t compare it with an event that supposedly has almost all the major groups, and where time on stage is so valuable. Charlie Waller is, as far as I know, the sole owner of the GOGR…..unlike the NQC.

Reply January 21, 09:54 David Bruce Murray Author

That’s true regarding the size of GOGR vs. NQC. I was just making the point that it’s a good business decision for the owner of an event to promote their own group.

And yes, Freedom Quartet is right up there in the same area in terms of name recognition. Not having an NQC board member in the group means they don’t get as much stage time, but I would say the time they do get is pretty fair vs. other groups that have been singing as long as Freedom Quartet has been singing.

10. JSR
    Reply January 22, 19:05 #10 JSR

Here’s the thing…the NQC is a business and the people running the business are in it to make money. That’s what businesses do. It’s not about the fans or serving God, it’s a business. Advertising and attention are how businesses survive. Is the Jim Brady Trio good? Yeah! Would they be on the main stage even if they were less than good? Yep, because businesses are going to promote their business.

The NQC is not a public service. The NQC is a money making venture. When you realize you’re there for the artists and the artists aren’t there for you, a lot of things will make more sense.

11. Shane Black
    Reply January 26, 10:31 #11 Shane Black

NQC is a complete joke to me. They need to change the name to something more regional anyway. It is not national no more than the Dixie Stampede is national. It used to mean something to sing on the main stage. Southern gospel and its audience is literally dying out. The money is not there like it used to be to keep the best talent on the road. I have attended several NQC in the past but I decided a few years back that I will not waste another penny on it. I am someone that grew up listening to Southern gospel music and consider myself the target audience. If I will not support it again then I could imagine people that wasn’t raised on this music.