Daywind Cracking Down On Illegal Recordings

Daywind plans to lower the boom in 2016 on singers who use Daywind brand soundtracks to make recordings illegally. Rick Schweinsberg posted the following on his Facebook page today:

STEALING SOUNDTRACKS. Using Daywind, Crossroads, Praise Hymn..etc soundtracks on your illegal (CHRISTIAN) homemade recording project. If we catch you in 2016 you will pay 10x the leasing fee or be publicly embarrassed by going to jail.
You are committing theft and God will not bless your work.

There are some gray areas in copyright law, but this has never been one of them. Obtaining a soundtrack and then using it to make your own recording without first securing a license from the company that owns it is theft, pure and simple. The scope of your rights to the use of a soundtrack are clearly spelled out on the packaging and/or the website where you bought it. In most cases, you can perform with a track as much as you like, but paying that $8.98 (or whatever they’re going for these days) does NOT include a right to use it on a recording.

It doesn’t matter if you plan to just “give them away.” That’s a common excuse I’ve heard people use.

I have decided to back Daywind’s threat with a promise to cover any related story here on MusicScribe.

Rick’s article goes on for several paragraphs. Part of it is an advertisement for Daywind studios, but there’s also some valuable advice for singers who are new to the process of recording. You can read the rest of his article by clicking HERE.

If you’re a new artist just getting started in the business, it’s well worth your time.

1. Robert York
    Reply January 03, 08:15 #1 Robert York

David you need to share this on face book so the illegals can see what will happen

Reply January 03, 09:43 David Bruce Murray Author

Thanks Robert.

Every article we post on MusicScribe is automatically shared on both Facebook and Twitter.

2. Harry Hughes
    Reply January 03, 13:53 #2 Harry Hughes

OK so we get blocked if we say anything negative on here about an artist who is caught in anything shady or immoral but you can further smear someone who uses soundtracks the wrong way.Seems rather a double standard to me.

Reply January 03, 16:06 David Bruce Murray Author

Harry,
      It’s not a double standard at all. If someone leaves a comment of the sort you’re talking about, I have no easy way to verify that they’re who they say they are. And quite often, I have no way to verify if what they’re reporting is the truth. If I write such a story, on the other hand, I’m responsible for making sure what I’ve written is a fact…and I put my real name on it.

Even then, I would not block the person who commented. I might decline to approve that one comment so the public would never be able to read it, but I wouldn’t block them from posting comments in the future. That’s sort of pointless when chances are they have multiple email addresses and can put any other name they want on the next comment. Even with an IP address, it’s difficult to eliminate anyone who is intent on submitting comments that are inappropriate.

The only time I’ve made some effort to block someone from posting comments is when they either persisted in leaving vulgar messages or spam posts selling Ray-ban sunglasses and junk like that. The last time that happened was about two years ago.

You may have us confused with a different website. “we get blocked” just doesn’t happen here that often.

To your second point, we aren’t looking to “smear” anyone. I don’t report unsubstantiated rumors. That would be smearing. We would only report that someone went to jail for the illegal use of soundtracks AFTER it could be documented through court records and/or other news outlets.

And again, I’ll use my real name if/when it happens.

Reply January 03, 16:15 David Bruce Murray Author

To follow up on my last comment, I couldn’t remember for sure if we had anyone on our “comment blacklist,” so I just took a look to see who was in there. We have NO ONE blocked at the present time, and that has been the case literally for months (maybe even a couple of years or more).

• Harry Hughes
        Reply January 03, 20:39 Harry Hughes

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I just wanted to make sure that this would not be a case of hiding “major artist’s” sins to “protect their privacy” while exposing the lesser known ones to public ridicule. I do enjoy reading your blog to keep up to date on the happenings in Southern Gospel.

3. Rev. Randall E Oliver
    Reply January 03, 15:21 #3 Rev. Randall E Oliver

1 Corinthians 6:7 – Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather [suffer yourselves to] be defrauded?

4. Chuck
    Reply January 03, 17:14 #4 Chuck

Wonder when you will quit going after the little guy that sells 50 a year, and I’m not condoning that, but how about manning up and going after the big boys like Pandora that rip us songwriters everyday. But, I guess it’s easier to hit a guy that makes minimum wage and sings because he loves it, than take on one of the bed fellows, huh?

5. yankeegospelgirl
    Reply January 04, 15:33 #5 yankeegospelgirl

The article link seems to be down.

Reply January 04, 17:40 David Bruce Murray Author

Rick has shared his article with “Friends” and “Friends Of Friends” on Facebook, so if you’re not either of those, you can’t see it.

• yankeegospelgirl
        Reply January 04, 19:10 yankeegospelgirl

Ah, I see. That’s too bad. It seems like the information should be dispersed to a wider audience.

• Jack
        Reply January 04, 21:59 Jack

Seems he should make it public for it to be seen.