2015 Survey Series: Oh What A Savior – Results Posted

2015 Survey Series: Oh What A Savior – Results Posted

Voting has ended. Results are posted below. We have a three way tie on this one!

1. Songfellows – 1 vote
  2. Golden Covenant – 2 votes
  3. Johnny Cook – 4 votes
  4. N’Harmony – 4 votes
  5. Old Paths – 4 votes

We’re going to wrap up the Blind Listening Round of our series in July. We have three songs left to consider, and all three are “big ‘uns!” So please listen, vote, comment and invite all of your friends who love Southern Gospel music to do the same. Come back on Sunday and next Wednesday for the last two songs.

Please note: Because this series is focusing on “covers” or “remakes” of classic songs, no Rosie Rozell or Ernie Haase recordings of “Oh What A Savior” were included for your consideration. I realize Haase’s version is based on Rozell’s, but again, we’re deliberately avoiding the most popular versions of songs included in this survey.

In the audio file attached to this post, you will hear five segments from recordings of “Oh What A Savior.” Select your favorite and respond with a comment to cast your vote. Valid responses are 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. You may select only one version as your favorite. Vote only once. This poll will close on Wednesday, July 22.

When the survey is all over later this year, there will be a nice little surprise for our readers courtesy of our good friends at b.creative. If you’re not already familiar with b.creative, check out some of the projects this company has worked on in the past by clicking HERE.

<p>David Bruce Murray is a church music director in Ellenboro, NC. He is the author of Murray’s Encyclopedia Of Southern Gospel Music and the owner of both SGHistory.com and MusicScribe.com. David plays piano for Southern Sounds Quartet and the Foothills Community Choir.</p>

1. Darrell
    Reply July 15, 08:52 #1 Darrell

That guy has some serious pipes. :-) That goes for Johnny Cook too (3rd selection). I just didn’t care as much for his rendition.

2. LeviSJ

Anthony

7. yankeegospelgirl
    Reply July 15, 11:07 #7 yankeegospelgirl

Oh, my bleeding ears!

• Darrell
      Reply July 15, 11:22 Darrell

I agree, especially the first several clips. There HAS to be a better “tenor standard” out there. And not Glory Road either. :-P Maybe something like Hide Thou Me.

• Jackie
      Reply July 15, 11:54 Jackie

agree completely…can’t vote for any of these

• PAL
        Reply July 15, 18:55 PAL

Right you are YGG! Painful to listen to.

8. Michael Booth
    Reply July 15, 13:57 #8 Michael Booth

Some topics and names we all sing about are deserving of great reverence. A singer must ask themselves if the note is supportive or distracting. Since this is Gospel music, the lyric deserves to be the priority. Whether a singer is high or low, the great ones find the sweet spot in the voice to emphasize the lyric. Therefore, making the subject matter the priority and not the voice. Think George Younce, Terry Franklin, Scott Inman and Karen Peck. These singers have amazing ranges BUT pay close attention to when they pull the trigger and you will find there is a beneficial connection to the subject matter that makes the listener get the point and not be distracted from it. My humble opinion, Ernie has found the dynamics and notes that emphasize this songs subject matter very well.

Michael Booth

• Jackie
      Reply July 15, 15:32 Jackie

I have heard Ernie sing this song live many times and can truly say it blessed me every time. I don’t know who these artists are (one of them may even be Ernie) but perhaps these all sound horrible to me because of pulling just pieces of these performances and then jamming them all together. For me, at least, I am not trashing any singer or song but the way these are presented just to my ear is not very pleasant. Thanks for your comment and I certainly understand where you are coming from.

9. GLENN A. ROSE
    Reply July 15, 21:33 #9 GLENN A. ROSE

10. Brad
    Reply July 15, 23:41 #10 Brad

Johnny Cook is probably my favorite tenor singer of all time so I went with his version. However, I am simply not a big fan of this song. If I didn’t hear it at least once (and sometimes multiple times on the same night) at every major concert I attend I might feel differently. I will agree that Ernie Haase’s is by far the best version of this song in the past 25 years and maybe ever.

Reply July 15, 23:52 #11 David Bruce Murray Author

I agree it can get tiresome if you go to a lot of Southern Gospel quartet concerts. The reason you hear it so often is because it’s requested so often. It’s surely the most requested Southern Gospel song of all time.

• Darrell
      Reply July 16, 08:06 Darrell

Why do you think this song is so requested? Are people truly connecting with the lyrics or is it as much the anticipation of seeing whether or not the tenor will be able to hit those high notes? How about a group take this song and make it into a bass solo? I wouldn’t see anything wrong with that. I don’t think there’s a rule in the Southern Gospel world that says the tenor HAS to be featured on this song.

Reply July 16, 08:27 David Bruce Murray Author

You could work up an arrangement featuring the bass singer. There’s no rule, but I’m sure fans would be quick to tell you “that’s not how the song goes.” :)

It’s popular because it’s already so popular, if that makes any sense. It’s like whenever you ask a traditional audience to call out a favorite hymn. You can count on someone asking for “Amazing Grace” and already have an arrangement ready. If a quartet encourages requests, they might as well have a version of “Oh What A Savior” ready, or they’re going to disappoint some people by refusing to do it.

• Darrell
          Reply July 16, 12:04 Darrell

Good points, David. The thought did go through my mind that “Oh What A Savior” is to SG songs what “Amazing Grace” is to hymns. And that would be a very popular, well known song that just about EVERYBODY recognizes and/or sings.

12. CLW
    Reply July 16, 07:38 #12 CLW

13. lee65
    Reply July 16, 09:22 #13 lee65

14. Jeff
    Reply July 16, 09:34 #14 Jeff

15. Daniel_the_tank
    Reply July 16, 22:01 #15 Daniel_the_tank

16. JimT
    Reply July 17, 07:44 #16 JimT

#1
    But not much difference between them.

17. Annette Wilson
    Reply July 18, 08:23 #17 Annette Wilson

Just an observation…Shouldn’t the focus of a song be communicating the Good News rather than the vocal theatrics? Specifically with Tenors/Sopranos,it becomes more of a screaming match than emphasizing a message in some cases.

18. Chris Unthank
    Reply July 23, 08:55 #18 Chris Unthank

Just cause you can hit the notes, doesn’t mean they need to be hit. This was a lesson I learned a long time ago…

#4 for me…

Reply July 23, 09:16 David Bruce Murray Author

Yes, at some point, this song became more about how high a tenor could scream than just singing the song effectively to convey the message.

You were a few hours late getting this vote in, by the way, but I’m going to go ahead and count it since the total number of votes was so low.