NQC By Internet, Friday, Hour 6

Snapshots From Friday Evening
11:02 John Pfeifer pays tribute to the veterans of foreign wars with a special emphasis on the veterans of Vietnam. NQC typically has a major patriotic feature like this. As the voice of President Bush is heard over the intro to the next song, I’m sure the Pfeifers have prepared a video tribute to go along with it. The Pfeifers then sing “United Through It All.” They sound like they’re turning their vocal cords inside out…I wonder if that’s physically possible.

11:11 DJ Greg Goodman is now reading the list of winners in the Diamond Awards. Those winners stand in sharp contrast to the winners of the Singing News Fan Awards…progressive vs. traditional in almost every category.

11:14 The Crabb Family opens their set with “Greater Is He.”

11:19 They continue with “To Me, He Is So Wonderful.” I’m not sure who the Crabb’s piano player is now, but I like his jazzy playing style.

11:20 Jason pulls Mike Bowling (who protests because he isn’t wearing his stage clothes) up on stage to sing “That I Can Still Go Free,” an old Hinsons song.

11:27 Next up is “Can’t Nobody Do Me Like Jesus,” a black gospel standard that the Crabbs have adapted.

Well, folks, that’s going to do it for me. There’s a couple more groups on tonight and of course, there’s another full day of NQC 2005 tomorrow. I will be attending a local concert tomorrow night, so I won’t be doing any more reporting.

I hope readers who couldn’t attend NQC or get the internet feed have enjoyed experiencing the event vicariously through my blog. It was my pleasure to bring it to you. If you haven’t already done so, leave a comment and let me know you were here.

1. Anonymous
    Reply September 17, 00:39 #1 Anonymous

thanks for telling us what went on!!!

2. Joe
    Reply September 17, 01:04 #2 Joe

Thanks once again for the reviews. I am so impressed by your ability to “hear” things on the radio that no one else can probably pick out.

Excellent job!

3. Anonymous
    Reply September 17, 19:41 #3 Anonymous

Great perspective, enjoyed reading, sometimes it’s hard to believe you and Avery were listening to the same concerts!

Reply September 17, 23:14 #4 David Bruce Murray

Thanks…as for our differences in perception, it’s a totally different thing to be there vs. hearing a live feed over the internet.

With that in mind, I’m totally puzzled as to how Doug was hearing intonation issues with the Doves Brothers’ when they sounded nearly perfect pitch-wise to me. It’s even more puzzling when you factor in that he was in a large arena with tons of natural reverb to mask such problems and I was listening over a VERY dry internet feed.

I guess being pre-disposed to disliking certain groups no matter how accurately they sing could possibly have something to do with it, though. :o)

Reply September 22, 01:35 #5 David Bruce Murray

One minute Doug is saying Eric Dove is the chief offender when it comes to singing out of tune…when? where?…evidently during the Thursday night NQC performance if you take Doug’s word for it, but who knows what song.

The next minute, he’s saying David Hester is the culprit. Why? Must be “Lonesome Road,” because that’s the only song the Doves do where Hester is called on to “belch” his words. (By the way, the Doves didn’t even sing “Lonesome Road” on Thursday night at NQC, which is the performance that sparked the comparison in mine and Doug’s hearing differences.)

A bit of history might be in order…”Lonesome Road” is a song that’s traditionally been played for comedic effect, dating back to J. D. Sumner’s performances of the song. It’s a burping bass showpiece, and Hester delivers it about as close to J. D. as any I’ve heard attempt it. The Doves play up the comedic aspects of the tune as popularized by Sumner and add a few new twists of their own to the routine.

But it’s just one song. It’s totally inaccurate when Doug portrays Hester as singing in that manner as a general rule. Now, no group is perfect in a live setting, but I believe I’m accurate in saying the Doves sing in tune as well as Legacy Five as a general rule.

6. Anonymous
    Reply September 22, 18:32 #6 Anonymous

May be Avery thought Eric and Hester were both singing out of tune? Personally, I think he is mean to McCray Dove and his group. But maybe he just does not like them as much as you do? I get the feeling avery has a problem with the the way the doves act on stage and he nitpicks the singing because of it. Plus i thought i saw where Avery did say something about liking David Hester when he sung a solo.